Sunday, February 4, 2018

Acrylic vs Oil which is the easier Medium?

Part of  "Inspiration" Painting
 I start most of my paintings in my home studio with Acrylic paint. I use multiple reference photos. When I am creating a painting the beginning layer is painted with Acrylics, I typically sketch the image using Acrylic paint.  I can also easily build up texture using acrylic paint. I build texture for things in nature that look realistic with it. It is difficult to build texture using oil paint due to longer drying times.  After the Acrylic paint has dried I layer oil paint to achieve depth and detail in the painting. Although I enjoy Acrylic painting, I really enjoy painting with Oil Paints. If I had to choose which one was easier to paint with, Acrylic Paint is easier because it dries quickly and builds up texture fast. Oil paints are easier to blend as well as paint in layers but Oils are messier to use. I used these images because I love Hummingbirds and painting Waterfalls. I was inspired to paint a muted background behind the hummingbird.
Remember if you paint using both in the same painting, always start with Acrylics because you can paint Oil Paint over it. It does not work the other way, Acrylic will not stick on top of Oil Paint for long. As a Painting Instructor, I teach step by step painting with Acrylic Paints. Click here to see more about my Acrylic Painting lessons  Check out my Original Paintings for sale http://www.dkboljat.com/home.html .

No comments:

Post a Comment