Saturday, January 13, 2018

Painting a Barn Step by Step

Here is a step by step painting of a barn the way I would paint it. I have prepared this for one of my upcoming Acrylic Painting Classes. I started by painting the sky and a suggestion of background trees using Grey and White Acrylic Paint was put on with a 1" brush.
Step 1
 I painted a preliminary sketch of the barn with a mixture of Burnt Umber and Ultramarine using a round brush.
Step 2
 Next using a tiny round brush I put in trees around the barn and using the remaining Burnt Umber I filled in the barn painting vertical brush strokes with a round brush.
Step 3

Now to paint the Barn Red. I used a mixture of Acra and Venetian Red making sure to leave the window in the back of the barn still the sky color. I painted up and down brush strokes so it would look more like boards on a barn.
Step 4

Step 5
 I draw where the windows are. I used an acrylic pen over pencil. Then I realized it needed a longer roof. For Step 6 I filled in a mixture of Burnt Umber and Ultramarine in the upper window, and white filled in the door. Using a palette knife I scraped paint for the illusion of boards.
Step 6

Step 7
Step 7, I painted Burnt Umber and Ultramarine lines on the edge of the boards.
Step 8
 After it was dry I painted another coat of Acra and Venetian Red over the wood and black lines on the barn.
Step 9
Next, I paint in the shadow color of the tree, Burnt umber and Ultramarine.You can see the shadow of the future trees. I add a gray-green mixed with white for the pine needles.



Here is the finished Barn Painting. As you can see I had to add a few birds.
Visit http://www.dkboljat.com/home.html and see more of my paintings, as well as  classes that I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment